Solicitors Based In Chester Offering Legal Services throughout England and Wales
Solicitors Based In Chester Offering Legal Services throughout England and Wales

Tenants Right to Compensation

If you have rented a property in the last 6 years and paid a deposit, you may be entitled to compensation even if you had your deposit returned to you at the end of the tenancy.


The law requires a landlord and his/her agent to register a deposit in one of the Government authorized deposit schemes within 30 days of receiving it. It also requires them to give the tenant-specific information relating to the tenancy deposit scheme claim within that time. The Law does not allow the landlord or agent to contract out of this obligation so even if the tenancy agreement says they do not have to register the deposit, they do.


If they were late in registering the deposit in DPS, TDS, or My Deposits or did not do so at all you are entitled to compensation of between one and three times the amount of the deposit. The amount will be decided by the Court if a settlement cannot be reached between the parties. The Court has to award at least one times the deposit and may award more if the landlord retained some of the deposit as you have been deprived of your right to access the free dispute resolution service run by the Schemes. Any other unscrupulous behavior may also be taken into account.


We have an expert solicitor who specializes in deposit protection claims. Our team will ask for relevant documents, including a copy of your tenancy agreement assess your claim without obligation, and if, instructed will send a letter to your landlord or their agent explaining the law and setting out your claim. If a satisfactory settlement is not reached after 14 days your claim documentation will be drafted and issued at the Court nearest to the property you rented and will make your case to the Judge at the hearing on your behalf. You will have direct access to and personal service from our specialist solicitor throughout the process.


You will not be asked to pay anything upfront and the court fee will also be paid on your behalf. If the case is not successful you will not be charged, only if you are awarded compensation will there will be a fee.

If you would like to check if you are entitled to compensation reach us today on 01244 757325.You can also visit us at Crown Buildings, 121A Saughall Road, Chester, Cheshire, CH1 5ET.

We look forward to helping you.

Recommended Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *